This post is concerning business blogs, not personal ones.
Depending on who you ask, some bloggers will say that you should only write long, epic posts. Otherwise, you’re just wasting your time.
Others bloggers will say that short posts are “good enough.”
I tend to agree with BOTH sides.
While the long, epic blog post may get more mileage, it’s unrealistic for most bloggers to push these out on a consistent basis.
It’s ok to write shorter posts every now and then as long as they provide your readers with high-value, high-quality content.
Here are some pros and cons to both long and short blog posts…
Long Blog Posts
- Assuming the actual blog content is high-value and high-quality, these types of blog posts will get shared on social media A LOT.
- These types of posts are great for content repurposing (turning the post into a video, slideshow, audio, etc.)
- These types of posts will get linked to from other blogs, forums, etc. especially if the content is EPIC.
- You’ll be seen as an authority in your niche.
- These posts can take a lot longer to write than shorter posts. They can take a minimum of 8 hours to write, but will more realistically take 12+ hours.
- These are not posts you can write often… so overall you’ll be pushing out less content, but if it’s EPIC, who cares (so it’s just KIND OF a negative)!
Short Blog Posts
- You can write shorter blog posts a lot more often.
- These can be written pretty quickly, taking as little as 15 minutes (if you’re very familiar with the topic).
- Short blog posts can be entirely curated content, which would be pretty hard to do with a long, epic post.
- These are easy for your readers to digest.
- This type of post can’t be repurposed as well as a long, epic post.
- While short posts can provide your reader with high-value, it’s hard to make them EPIC in nature.
- While these posts will still get shared (assuming the content is high-quality), they won’t get shared as much and the chance they’ll go viral is pretty slim.
So as you can see, both long posts and short posts have their pros and cons.
My personal strategy for this blog is to have a mixture of both short and long posts.
All of which I’ll aim to make high-quality and high-value for you and the rest of my readers.
So what about you… do you write short posts, long posts or a mixture of the two? Do you think one is better than the other? Let me know in the comment section below!